Here is my tapioca pudding post take two. Why am I bothering to attempt this post a second time? It's worth it, truly. I only post recipes here if they've passed through my family's rigorous testing! Besides, it's time for wrapping up in sweaters, adding a log to the fire, and digging in to a little comfort food. Food that nurtures the soul.
Because the cravings for richer dishes coincides with holiday decadence and overindulging, I'm always looking for ways to mix in some healthier alternatives... especially in the sweets department. Cravings for something creamy have been haunting me for days, and I knew this tapioca pudding would hit the spot. It's not wrapped up in any childhood memories, in fact I had never even tasted tapioca until I was in my 20's. But it was an instant favorite. We used to make it at the vegan restaurant I worked at and although I'm not vegan anymore, I still prefer this non-dairy version. My kids do too! This week I made it with almond milk for the first time. Yum!
- 8 tablespoons of small pearl tapioca
- 4 cups of water
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons of maple syrup or sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of milk of choice (almond, cow, soy, coconut)
- splash of vanilla
- Bring water to boil in a sauce pan. Whisk in tapioca and keep stirring for a few minutes to ensure that the pearls don't clump.
- Cook another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in sugar, milk and salt. Let cook for another 5-10 minutes. It will still be a bit soupy. Add splash of vanilla.
- Cool and pour into glass dish or mason jar to chill in the fridge.
- Serve with a dash of cinnamon and maybe some chopped almonds or coconut.