Monday, April 2, 2012

natural window cleaner (new and improved)

window cleaner
Happy April! Who's ready for some spring cleaning? I've been attacking one big cleaning project after another. Yesterday my dirty windows were calling. I always use a little water and vinegar in a spray bottle, but I made up a new recipe that I'm excited to share with you. After hearing that a smidge of cornstarch kept the streaks away, I thought I'd add a little to my usual mixture. In order to dissolve the cornstarch, I used hot water. I had never cleaned windows with anything but cold water, and I was super impressed with the difference the temperature made on getting the job done. So here's my natural recipe for sparkling windows...
Window Cleaner
  1. Pour hot tap water and white vinegar directly into a spray bottle with a ratio of 2:1 (hot h20/vinegar)
  2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cornstarch.
  3. Shake.
  4. Spray while water is still warm if possible. Use lint free rags for the first few swipes across the glass and then finish off with a crumpled piece of newspaper.
Here's to seeing with total clarity... and clean windows, too!
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I use the same cleaner as you, except for the cornstarch, you can't find this product here. I add some alcohol as well and it works great. The final touch with newspaper is like magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a girl, I cleaned hotel rooms and the owner insisted on using vinegar & water for glass and chrome for the best shine.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so ready to have clean windows again! I already had your method but not the cornstarch. TY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clean windows make all the difference don't they?!
    Happy cleaning!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get the spray bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use hot water and vinegar too. I will have to see if adding the cornstarch makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I also use vinegar but had never tried cornstarch.
    I do sometimes put in a pinch of olive oil though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My windows are definitely in need of some sprucing up. Thank you for this tip! I've tried water and vinegar but never cornstarch. I'm excited to give it a try. Have you tried it on any mirrors, by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful! i love finding out how one secret ingredient improves an old favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Corn starch is very useful, especially in household cleaning, and it is good that you found it to be very useful in your spring cleaning. It always feels good to view the scenery outside through clear and clean windows. And your recipe can be a good alternative for washing windows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always use vinegar for cleaning purpose but not cornstarch…… now I go for it too…….

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its funny how everyone has there own way of doing things. I guess you just have to try, and if it works, use it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow such a nice post but I'm looking forward for the post of window cleaning Brampton. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your DIY window cleaner can be an alternative choice, especially if you are allergic to some chemical types of cleaner. Your recipe is actually great! In my experience, the vinegar can get anything off the windows, and a little bit of cornstarch really gives the shine you want.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your DIY window cleaner mixture looks pretty potent! For me, I use lemon juice instead of vinegar for my mixture. It helps cut through tough grease and fingerprints on windows, and gets rid of the dirt and residue that come in from the outside. Lemon juice also provides a pleasant smell. You might want to try adding a little bit of lemon juice to your mixture to help mask the aroma of vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is cool way to make window cleaner. its work great. Thanks. Its my first time to make it.
    fönsterputsning nyköping

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are incredible methods that are expense proficient and at a same time work wonders on window cleaning. Cornstarch has effective streak free window cleaning results.
    Thanks for sharing Mayaluna Good job!

    ReplyDelete